Avoid These Common Types of Motorcycle Crashes
In 2020, Oregon saw more than 780 motorcycle crashes that resulted in the deaths of nearly 70 motorcyclists. Major contributing causes include someone driving too fast for conditions, failures to yield the right of way, and driving while impaired, distracted, or drowsy. Big problems include car drivers turning left in front of a motorcyclist, changing lanes, or rear-ending motorcycles. Many of these crashes could not be avoided by the motorcyclist, but there are common threads to preventing other crashes and the harm they cause to individuals and their families.
Preventing Common Motorcycle Crashes
Given the exposed nature of a motorcycle and the seriousness of the injuries that can occur in a crash, it’s important for motorcyclists to remain especially attentive on the road. Following these easy tips can help avoid some crashes:
- Follow the speed limit. If a motorcyclist is going too fast, it can be harder for car drivers to judge and take into account their speed. It is also more difficult for a motorcyclist to address changing road or traffic conditions when speeding.
- Stay out of blind spots. Do your best to avoid riding in the blind spots of another vehicle.
- Maintain a safe following distance. Give yourself ample space to stop. This can also help make a motorcycle more visible to other drivers.
- Avoid drunk driving. While driving under the influence is illegal for anyone, it is especially dangerous on a motorcycle.
- Maintain your motorcycle. Ensure that your motorcycle is in proper working order. Check your tires and lights frequently, and address any mechanical issues as soon as you become aware of them.
When You’ve Suffered Injuries in a Motorcycle Crash
Motorcyclists generally suffer the most serious injuries in a crash with another vehicle; when that happens, recovery can be long and difficult. Motorcyclists can face a challenging road physically, emotionally, legally, and financially. The team at The Corson & Johnson Law Firm is here to help you if they think they can make a difference. Our experienced lawyers can help Oregon motorcyclists understand their rights and obtain fairer compensation after a crash. Call our Eugene office today, or fill out the contact form at the top of this page to learn more about who we are and what we do.
The Corson & Johnson Law Firm has been named by Expertise as one of the 5 Best Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Eugene.