New Oregon Law Adds Crash Notification Requirements

Crash Notification

The Law and You

This segment of The Law and You features personal injury trial lawyer Lara Johnson telling about crash notification requirements in Oregon.


JOEL: This is Joel Block for The Law and You with Eugene attorney, Lara Johnson. Lara, what’s the status of the crash notification laws in Oregon?

LARA: Joel, under current law, a driver who is in a collision resulting in any injury or over $1500 in property damage, must immediately report the accident to a police officer or law enforcement agency. A new law also requires the driver to file a written report with the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles, whether the driver was at fault or not. Both reports are required. Your license can be suspended if you don’t file a written report within 72 hours, even if you don’t actually know the other person was injured. We have a link on our website to the report form required by the State of Oregon’s new law.

JOEL: Thanks, Lara. If you would like to know more about these laws, and for important links, visit the law firm of Corson & Johnson at The Law and You is a community service and does not replace the advice of an attorney.

The Corson & Johnson Law Firm, a Eugene, Oregon personal injury trial law firm, produces and distributes The Law and You as a continuing public service to help families and consumers answer questions about our legal system and how it works for them. The Law and You spots are aired on KKNU, KMGE, KEUG, and KODZ in Eugene, Oregon. If you have suggestions of legal questions or topics you would like addressed by The Law and You, please contact us.