Personal Injury Claims for Children

This segment of The Law and You features personal injury trial lawyer Don Corson discussing cases where his firm has represented injured children.


JOEL This is Joel Block for The Law and You with Eugene attorney Don Corson. Don, what happens when a personal injury claim is needed for a child?

DON: Joel, we’ve represented many injured children. The court appoints a Conservator to protect the child’s legal interests when the case is filed. That person makes sure the claim is prosecuted solely for the benefit of the injured child. Any settlement must be approved by the court. Any dispersement of funds must also be approved by a judge to make sure that the money is used only for the injured child. For instance a parent may ask if the money can be used for time they missed from work. The answer is generally, no. Sometimes the child has serious permanent injuries, so the settlement needs to last them the rest of their lives. In those cases, we usually arrange for the insurance company to make life- long periodic payments, so that the injured person is properly cared for.

JOEL: Thanks, Don. If you have a legal question or for a copy of How to the Law Works, visit The Law and You is a public service and does not replace the advice of an attorney.​

The Corson & Johnson Law Firm, an Oregon personal injury trial law firm, produced and distributed The Law and You as a public service to help families and consumers answer questions about our legal system and how it works for them. The Law and You spots were aired on KKNU, KMGE, KEUG, and KODZ.  Please note that laws may have changed since a public service spot was aired.  If you have suggestions for legal questions or topics you would like addressed, please contact us.